Why Growing Up Regular is a Good Thing
Last updated on February 1, 2023
There are many children who unfortunately suffer from constipation. As a parent this may also be quite stressful, as this may interfere with the family’s quality of life. However, in most cases constipation may be resolved through natural therapy without the use of medications.
In infants and newborns, digestive issues can present continual crying and whining, inability to sleep or colicky type of behaviours. This can be discomforting for the baby and affect the parents as well due to the lack of sleep and the constant attention their child needs.
Some other signs and symptoms may include:
- Distended stomach
- Pickiness with foods
- Inability to sleep
- Crying with bowel movement
Children therefore may become fearful when trying to have a bowel movement and will try various actions to avoid going. This becomes a vicious cycle that continually leads to more abdominal pain and constant constipation.
HOW TO BREAK THE CYCLE
Here are some tips to help improve your child’s constipation.
- Drinking more water
- Drinking more water can help with nutrient absorption, easier and more frequent bowel movements.
- Eating high-fibre foods
- Improving your child’s diet may help improve bowel movement. It is important to have a well-balanced diet. Eating an abundance of fruits and veggies, since these are a great source of fibre.
- Foods that are high in fibre may help prevent gas and bloating.
- Exercising regularly
- Regular exercising may help promote normal bowel function
- Seeing a chiropractor
- Research has shown that chiropractic care may benefit children’s frequency of bowel movements after regular chiropractic adjustments.
- Babies and newborns tend to spend a lot of time in a car seat, baby carriers or the pram which constantly puts more pressure on their hips and lower back. This may affect their digestive system. Chiropractors work on improving nervous system function, which controls everything in the body, including the digestive system. If this is compromised then children’s digestive system is not going to be able to function optimally, therefore seeing a Chiropractor may have significant changes to children’s digestive system once the nervous system function has been restored.
- Chiropractic adjustments are safe, non-invasive, and are very effective when it comes to helping kids with constipation.
A combination of these tips may help improve your child’s bowel movement.
Frequent encouragement for your child to use the toilet is a great first step towards overcoming fears with constipation. Keep an eye on your child’s diet, implement daily routines, and try natural forms of care first (such as seeing a Chiropractor), your child should be on track to grow up healthy!
Admin. (2020, October 30). 3 tips to clear up childhood constipation • Wellspine KC. Retrieved January 16, 2023, from https://www.wellspinekc.com/3-tips-to-clear-up-childhood-constipation/#:~:text=The%20reason%20why%20is%20quite,to%20helping%20kids%20with%20constipation.
Alcantara, J., & Mayer, D. M. (2008). The successful chiropractic care of pediatric patients with chronic constipation: a case series and selective review of the literature. Clinical Chiropractic, 11(3), 138-147.
Chiropractic spinal manipulation of children under 12. (n.d.). Retrieved January 16, 2023, from https://www.bettersafercare.vic.gov.au/reports-and-publications/chiropractic-spinal-manipulation-of-children-under-12
Lyer, M. M., Skokos, E., & Piombo, D. (2017). Chiropractic management using multimodal therapies on 2 pediatric patients with constipation. Journal of Chiropractic Medicine, 16(4), 340-345.