Text Neck & Neck Pain
Last updated on September 28, 2023
Forward head posture has become so common that it has been given the term ‘text neck’ or “Tech Neck”. This is a repetitive stress injury whereby excessive use of handheld devices is believed to be the primary cause.
Adjustments To Prevent Text Neck
- Raise your phone to eye level
- Take frequent breaks – use an alarm or app to set automatic reminders to take breaks.
- Stand up straight – good posture, leading with chest pulled up, chin tucked and shoulders back and down, keep your body aligned and in neutral position
- Stretch neck and chest muscles
- Exercise regularly – improves spinal function and strength as well as overall health
- Chiropractic adjustments – restore spinal and nervous system function thereby, reducing/eliminating pain, improving posture and increasing your spine’s natural ability to deal and adapt to stress
The increased use of smart devices such as smartphones or tablets has led to a rise in young people experiencing neck pain and headaches. Recent studies have revealed that neck pain and headaches should not be considered as “normal” or “growing pains” and are unlikely to resolve on their own. It’s important to note that children who develop spinal dysfunction and pain during their teenage years are more likely to continue experiencing spinal pain problems into adulthood.
To prevent this from becoming a lifelong issue for your children, it’s best to address the problem early by seeking the help of a chiropractor. By taking early action, you can prevent spinal dysfunction from progressing and causing long-term pain and discomfort. A chiropractor can help alleviate neck pain and headaches caused by the excessive use of smart devices by providing targeted spinal adjustments and other therapies to promote spinal health.